Use of UGCS resources to obtain, store, or redistribute files in violation of copyright laws is illegal; it is a violation of the Honor Code and the the Institute Policy on Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources to use Caltech resources in an unlawful manner.
UGCS cooperates fully with IMSS and the Office of the General Counsel in preventing and tracking illegal use of the Caltech network.
UGCS follows the DMCA Copyright Infringement Policy for all individuals who are actively affiliated with Caltech, including disabling account access until confirmation is received from the Deans or Human Resources that account access may be restored. All accounts belonging to alumni will be immediately and permanently locked upon first confirmed offense due to the risk of legal liability incurred by improper use of UGCS.
Claimed Copyright Infringement
Notices of Claimed Copyright Infringement on a computer in the UGCS netblock must be in writing and include the following information:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed or, in the case of multiple claims of infringement on one site, a representative list of those works;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing that should be removed, with sufficient information for Caltech to locate the material;
- Your contact information;
- A statement that you, in good faith, believe use of the material at issue is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information contained in the notice is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright allegedly infringed.
Notices should be sent to:
Adam Cochran The Intellectual Property Counsel Caltech 1200 E. California Blvd. M/C 201-85 Pasadena, CA 91125 Telephone: 626.395.4567 firstname.lastname@example.org